I had every intention of making a basic foam earring tutorial but must admit I got carried away and went a little extra with these earrings…
The earrings I created were inspired by a retro Miami Vice logo- I’m totally into that vintage color palette right now! (Fun fact I have round white couches from the 70’s in my house that give off a total Miami Vice lounge vibe and I love them so much.) I recruited my sister, and co- Modern Renaissance Sister, Sierra to join me in making her own foam earrings as well- she went with glitter cherries! Although each distinctive in our own styles, they each follow the same basic steps!
See full instructional video below!
Basic Supplies you will Need:
- Acrylic Paints– If you plan on doing other projects I recommend investing in a basic set of acrylic paints. For this project I used a light blue, hot pink, purple, yellow, white, and black. I get most of mine at Michael’s; there are so many brands out there- I find “Crafts Smart” and “Deco Art” to be some of my favorites. An array of acrylic paints linked here.
- Acrylic Paint brushes – Again, Michaels or Amazon. A selection of small to medium brushes are essential for different designs, linked here. The two I used for this project are a 1. an acrylic wash brush and 2. an acrylic round brush.
- Modge Podge Poly Brush: Michaels or Amazon, linked here.
- Modge Podge- There are a ton of different Modge Podges out there, for this project I used both the original “Gloss” version and GLITTER Modge Podge!
- 4 Jumper Rings, 2 Earring Hooks, and Jewelry Pliers– A set for earring making linked here.
- Sewing Needle- Or anything to poke a hole into the foam
- Paper Plate– Or anything you can blot paint on
- White Craft Foam
- Plastic cup/ or cup to trace
- Cut out foam into desired shape.
- Apply a base of 2 coats of Gloss Modge Podge (wait at least 1 hour in between coats).
- Paint desired acrylic design.
- EITHER : Add glitter as Sierra did with her cherry earrings OR Seal with Glitter Modge Podge as Miranda did with her retro palm tree earrings; always gotta add that extra ~sugar and spice~!
- Attach jump rings and earring hooks!
There you have it, foam earrings done two totally different ways!!
Till next time fellow tropics! 🍒 🌴